Incredible waste of technology . . .
ConɀRConɀ
2013-12-02 22:34:38 UTC
The most recent media story about a train derailment (New York) -
apparently as a result of human actions and speed exceeding the
capability of the track - could easily have been avoided if there had
been technology in place that overrode the human direction.

We have vehicles that can now park themselves, no human touching the
wheel of the vehicle. We have 'bait cars' that can be locked or shut
down from considerable distances from the stolen cars.

Why the hell don't railways have installed triggers at various critical
junctions or turns that override the speed of the train if it is
approaching too quickly?

Canada's record for derailments due to speed inappropriate for the track
system or difficult turns is abysmal. A huge number of them are
happening in Alberta, where it seems profit and schedules trump safety
and common sense.

Those 'triggers' could be installed at the approach to any difficult,
sharp turns or when that train is approaching a high-density rail
junction near city centres. If you get a distracted or fatigued or
hotshot engineer at the controls, control would automatically be taken
out of his hands and the train guided according to safe speeds for the
track at that particular spot.

Why hasn't it been done?
ConɀRConɀ
2013-12-02 22:52:13 UTC