Fourth Period Social Studies: *Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet* by Jamie Ford
r***@gmail.com
2020-01-28 01:41:19 UTC
Dearest readers,

After a political digression we will turn our attention to our readers: today we find the material is *Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet* by Jamie Ford. Mr. Ford's novel concerns episodes in the life of an Asian-American man from the "International District" in Seattle from the World War II period on.

The story of Asian-American life in the Western US during the war is a sad and complicated one: sad on account of the well-known internment of Japanese-Americans for "security reasons" during the war, but complicated on account of the multiple Asian nationalities resident in places that cannot really be described as "ghettoes" in cities like Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco.

Henry Lee describes his background as that of a "Chinese nationalist", but the narrative of the novel reveals that it can hardly be described as a *Leitmotiv* of his life in Seattle over the decades. During the tense early period of the Pacific conflict he befriends Keiko, a Japanese girl who lives in a nearby neighborhood which is forbidding to him: Keiko and Henry negotiate the complexities of the internment together.

The rest of the novel discusses Asian-American life in Seattle during the following decades, where Henry, his father, and his son puzzle out the role of Keiko in their lives. An abiding theme of the book, one which *enragees* would do well to ponder as seriously as they can, is how none of the main characters in the book can be described as "fascists": their tolerant and open-handed deliverance of their somewhat-inherently-toxic cultural legacy to America is an example to emulate.

"Credit and power to Jamie Ford" is hardly a thought to have; to preserve and understand the images of American life in the book is a task to strive for to the utmost.

Jeffrey Rubard
Jeffrey Rubard
2021-12-23 14:07:27 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
[...]
2021 Update: Kind of a big thing, I guess, even if they didn't eventually make the movie.
Before 2021 Update: Portland's "Old Town" district is a bit like the International District, even if it's a little less "functional". At a time I myself briefly lived there, in transient hotels like the Joyce and the Westwind. (It wasn't that fun.)
Note: The "International District" is where the Amtrak station and Safeco Field are in Seattle. It's an "Asiantown" not focused on a particular ethnicity, and has quite a bit of industrial to it as well.
(Haven't been there for a couple of years, as opposed to anywhere else for a much longer period of time.)
Jeffrey Rubard
You liked it, though? Thought it was good? Maybe not as good as George Takei's graphic-novel memoir, but okay anyway? The plot twist was cool?
Jeffrey Rubard
2021-12-24 08:18:52 UTC
Post by Jeffrey Rubard
Post by Jeffrey Rubard
Post by r***@gmail.com
[...]
Otherwise: Y'all come on back, y'hear?
(Mars thinks it needs women. Really it works with candy bars.)
Jeffrey Rubard
2021-12-25 06:54:34 UTC
Post by Jeffrey Rubard
Post by Jeffrey Rubard
Post by Jeffrey Rubard
Post by r***@gmail.com
[...]
We thought it was okay.
(What? That.)
Jeffrey Rubard
2021-12-26 16:07:21 UTC
Post by Jeffrey Rubard
Post by Jeffrey Rubard
Post by Jeffrey Rubard
Post by Jeffrey Rubard
Post by r***@gmail.com
[...]
...and why, yes, I have heard of Boethius's *The Consolation of Philosophy*.
(A work from the later Roman Empire, you know.)
Jeffrey Rubard
2021-12-27 06:54:26 UTC
Post by Jeffrey Rubard
Post by Jeffrey Rubard
Post by Jeffrey Rubard
Post by Jeffrey Rubard
Post by Jeffrey Rubard
Post by r***@gmail.com
[...]
2021 Close-Out Sale: Like, um, Bruce Lee.